Are you one of the many shoppers who hit up the Black Friday sales?
Not me. That’s just too much craziness for me these days. I can’t imagine standing in line for hours or watching people frantically grab a killer deal off the shelf. I know people that look forward to Black Friday every year. Maybe I’m missing out. Nah.
If you still have some cash left over or you haven’t started Christmas shopping yet, here is a list of MY top 10 gear picks for outdoor tykes.
1. Eco Vessel Insulated Water Bottle. These bottles are one of my favorites. With the insulated bottles water stays cold or hot for hours. We are talking 8+hrs or more in 100+ degree weather and I still had ice in it. Pretty Awesome!
2. Deuter Ultra Bike backpack. J-man uses this pack for hiking, biking and traveling. I haven’t done a review on it yet, it’s coming. This pack fits him perfectly. There are 2 pockets and 2 mesh water bottle pockets. For older tykes I suggest the Deuter Junior Backpack and here is my review for it.
3. Julbo Sunglasses. J-Man has been wearing Julbo’s for the past year or so and I love the durability and coverage the glasses provide. He has worn the Boobas and is currently wearing the Solan sunglasses, which are polarized . Here is a review on the Boobas.
4. Icebreaker long underwear. Nothing compares to merino wool keeping your tykes warm. (In my opinion, anyways.) All 3 of us wear merino wool under our clothing to keep us warm. Icebreaker may be a bit more than what you want to spend on long underwear for your tykes but I will tell you it is worth it. You are paying for quality, which you get, and a product that really does it’s job. Buy one size larger and your tyke can wear it for longer. J-man has been wearing Icebreaker since he was a year old. Here’s a review I did on a few Icebreaker pieces.
5. KEEN Newport H2 sandals. KEEN has a giant selection of shoes ranging from infants to adults for numerous activities. One of my favorite pairs of KEEN shoes for the entire family is the Newport H2 sandals. J-Man pretty much wears these all summer long. They are perfect for camping, easy hikes, playing on the playground, kayaking, canoeing and pretty much any water activity.
6. Headlamp. This is a great piece of gear your tykes can use camping, hiking or during a nighttime walk around the neighborhood. My two choices are The Wiz by Black Diamond and the Tec Bot by Princeton Tec. Princton Tec has a fun feature allowing you to customize 2 different headlamp models. Yeah, I made a pink and gray one.
7. Sun hat. I am a huge advocate for sun protection and one way to protect your tykes from the sun is by encouraging them to wear a sun hat. Not a baseball cap but a sun hat. One of my favorites is the Sun Runner hat by Outdoor Research.
8. Camera. Give your tyke a camera and let them capture their adventures. See objects from their perspective and let them create lasting memories. J-Man has had a camera since he was 2 years old. He started out with the VTech – Kidizoom Digital Camera and for his 3rd birthday he upgraded to the Pentax Optio WG-1 Rugged Waterproof Digital Camera. We can actually print pictures from the Pentax camera unlike pictures from the V-Tech. The sensor on the VTech is too small to print quality pictures of any size.
9. Outdoor books. Books are great learning tools and can help tykes get excited about a particular outdoor activity. Here are a handful of outdoor books we love:
10. Socks. Merino wool socks versus cotton socks will provide your tykes with comfortable feet, allowing them to breath and not get so sweaty and hot. Icebreaker and Smartwool make great merino wool socks for tykes.
Need more ideas? Here you go…
Only 30 days left until Christmas. Ack! Have fun shopping!
Do you have a favorite item you love to give as a gift? What are you giving your tykes for Christmas this year?