Now that the temperatures are cooling down it is much more enjoyable to spend time outside, especially during the middle of the day. If your area is anything like Moab during the summer we avoid middle of the day outside activities, unless we are IN water. It’s just too darn hot.
With the cooler temperatures comes more available time outside to play and I LOVE that. We can pretty much play from sun up to sun down. This does require more creativity and planning of activities, so I put this list together to help us all out.
10 ways to enjoy the cooler weather:
1. Fall scavenger hunt. We love scavenger hunts and with the changing colors and plants and trees dropping their leaves this provides different scenery and ideas for your list.
- Alphabet Scavenger Hunt: Choose 5 -10 items that start with a letter from the alphabet your tykes can find.
- Color Scavenger Hunt: List 5-10 colors your tykes can go around the neighborhood/backyard and discover.
- Rhyming scavenger Hunt: Pick 5-10 words that rhyme with items your tykes can hunt for.
- Specific Items Scavenger Hunt: Make a list of 5 – 10 random items for your tykes to search for.
2. Go on a bug hunt. Are there any bugs hibernating yet? See any different bugs than usual roaming around.
3. Design the sidewalk. Chalk it up and get creative. Trace leaves, branches, practice writing, counting or whatever your tyke wants to create.
4. Make a bird feeder. Even though the birds are flying south for the winter some birds are sticking around and I’m sure they would love a special treat. Here’s a fun bird feeder J-Man made and I made a special board on Pinterest dedicated to DIY bird feeders.
5. Give your tyke a camera. We are all about photographing over here and J-Man loves taking photos of his own and then seeing what he has captured. Next time you go for a nature walk or hike let your tyke use your camera or buy them a disposable one. Here’s a great idea: Go Explore Nature has combined photography and a scavenger hunt together for a Fall Photo Scavenger Hunt. Check it out!
6. Nature walk. Go on a casual walk around the neighborhood, in the woods, along the beach or in the mountains. Look around and see if your tyke can notice the changing season.
7. Fun simple actitivties to do with your tykes.
8. Art walk. This is one of my favorite activities to do with J-Man. Little is required and it lets his creative side run wild.
9. Bike ride. Cruise around the neighborhood, along a bike path, a dirt road or wherever your wheels can take you.
10. My favorite of all – PICNIC DINNER! Instead of sitting around the table for dinner take it outside. Go to a park, a nearby lake, open space or have it in your own backyard.
There you go. Now get outside and have fun!
What favorite activities do you do with your tykes once the weather cools down?